JAMIE MANNERS from THE VICHY GOVERNMENT
1. Who are you?
Whoever you want me to be, darlin’.
2. No, really, who are you?
The bastard son of L-F Celine and Sandie Shaw.
3. What are you up to at the moment?
Fuck all. Waiting for other people; waiting for death.
4. What three rules would make up your manifesto?
i) Create your own universe; make yourself as idiosyncratic as possible and show no regard for what other people are up to. ii) Be your own sternest
critic. iii) Do everything that you can to entertain people.
5. If you were the dictator of a modern industrial country, what would
you abolish? What laws would you implement?
I can think of few worse things than having to run a country. I would abdicate on the spot and if they refused, make my position untenable by
appointing my chihuahua Chancellor of the Exchequer, imposing apartheid on Arsenal supporters, declaring war on America, etc.
6. What are your lyrics about?
I’m starting to think that all pop lyrics are about love, even Rage Against The Machine. The only difference is how many layers of bullshit you want to
drape over it.
7. What is your opinion on the contemporary music scene? What do you
Today, pop music is just a museum piece. Look at the limping, one-legged dog that is the music press- every issue is based on the same ‘top 100’ lists.
It’s not a force anymore, just another Thing to get people spending their money. I like a lot of the bubblegum chart pop and dislike pretty much
all ‘alternative’ guitar bands.
8. What distinguishes you from your peers?
We have no peers, as far as I’m concerned.
9. Where do you see yourself in five years time?
10. Any regrets?
Yes, and I’ll take them with me to my tomb.